1 hr 10 mins
This Austrian recipe was given to me years ago when we were on a ski-vacation to Vent in South Tyrol by the owners of Hotel Post. I have made it for guests and birthdays for many year, and it always receives compliments and recipe requests. You will not regret making the efford!
My Private Note
Layer C ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces cocoa powder
- 3 ounces pastry flour
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 6 ounces fine sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 ounces graham crackers
- 2 ounces ground almonds
- 8 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
WHipped Cream Frosting
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Mix together the cocoa powder and the flour in a bowl and set aside.
- 3In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks, the whole egg, the sugar and the water with an electric beater for 8-10 minutes.
- 4Blend the Graham crackers and the powdered almonds with the egg mixture.
- 5Put the egg whites in another bowl and beat until stiff.
- 6Add the icing sugar and continue to beat for 30 seconds.
- 7Fold the beaten egg whites in with the egg yolk mixture.
- 8Add the cocoa and flour mixture and fold again.
- 9Pour the batter into a buttered and floured round 10" cake pan and bake in the centre of the oven for 30-40 minutes.
- 10Remove and let stand for 5 minutes, then turn onto a cake rack.
- 11Frosting: Whip the cream until quite firm, then blend in the icing sugar.
- 12Put the pitted cherries along with half the juice in a saucepan.
- 13Bring to a boil over medium heat and add the Tia Maria.
- 14Mix the corn starch with the tablespoon of water and add this mixture to the cherries.
- 15Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 16Let stand to cool.
- 17Cut the cake into 3 equal layers.
- 18Cover the bottom layer with cherries and the next two layers with whipped cream.
- 19Decorate with cherries and grated chocolate.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Viennese Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1470 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4318.8
- Calories from Fat 2314
- Total Fat 257.1 g
- Saturated Fat 130.7 g
- Cholesterol 2348.6 mg
- Sodium 1099.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 447.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 29.8 g
- Sugars 289.0 g
- Protein 98.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: