Recipe by Sharon123
This would be delicious with lamb or pork, also with curry, rice, or noodles. Use your imagination! I don't remember where I got this, I like to collect unusual recipies.
Top Review by TooAllergic
I served this with curried chicken, our family's traditional Christmas dinner. My beets gave off a lot of liquid and never thickened. I was afraid they would break down too much if I kept simmering them. I think the flavor is perfect. My family loved the relish, and it will be added to the permanent list of curry condiments (currently 12)! I would love a suggestion on how to thicken it though. Thank you for another wonderful use for beets.
- 2 lbs beets, leaves trimmed to 2 inches
- 3 cups sugar, to taste (1 1/2 lbs. (or more)
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 3 small lemons, very finely chopped (not skin or pith)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (outside skin only, no white pith)
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook whole beets in boiling water until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool, peel and dice.
- Combine diced beets, sugar and ginger in medium saucepan and cook over medium-low heat 30 minutes.
- Add chopped lemon and continue cooking until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in almonds.
- Transfer to jars with tight-fitting lids and seal.
- Store in cool dark place. To be safe process in boiling water for 10 minutes.