Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef bones with marrow, cracked
- 2 medium carrots, scraped, sliced
- 3 lbs beef chuck
- 1 stalk celery, pared & cubed
- 3 quarts water
- 3 small turnips, pared & cubed
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups cauliflower, cut up
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, peeled, sliced thin
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 2 medium leeks, white parts only
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Taking the white parts of the leek only, clean and thinly slice them.
- Scald bones and rinse in cold water.
- Put beef and water in a large kettle; bring to a boil.
- Add bones, salt and pepper.
- Slowly bring to a full simmer; remove any scum from the top.
- Cook over low heat, partially covered, 1 1/2 hours.
- Again remove any scum from the top.
- Add remaining ingredients and continue to cook about 40 minutes, until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Remove and discard parsley, bay leaves, and bones.
- Take out the meat and cut into bite sized pieces, discarding any gristle.
- Return meat to soup.
- You may also add noodles, rice or dumplings to the finished soup.