Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A Pillsbury Bake-Off® Contest recipe from 1959, this recipe is considered a classic.
- 1 pillsbury refrigerated pie crust, softened as directed on box (from 15-oz box)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- Heat oven to 400°F
- Make pie crust as directed on box for One-Crust Filled Pie using 9-inch glass pie pan.
- In medium bowl, mix sugar, flour, instant coffee, cinnamon and salt.
- In large bowl, beat eggs with electric mixer on high speed until light in color.
- Beat in sugar mixture.
- Beat in buttermilk, vanilla, butter and chocolate until well combined (filling may look curdled).
- Pour into crust-lined pan.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until center is set and crust is deep golden brown.
- After 15 to 20 minutes of baking, cover edge of crust with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour.
it's delicious! however the baking time was longer than stated - i baked mine for approx. 40 minutes. thanks for the recipe!