Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Simple but elegant 3-layer cake makes any occasion special.
- 2 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine, softened
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- sliced almonds, for garnish
- Grease and flour 3 9-inch round pans; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl and mix well; set aside.
- In large bowl with electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually stir in flour mixture alternately with milk just until blended.
- Divide batter into prepared pans.
- Adjust racks to divide oven in thirds; stagger pans on racks. Bake, rotating pans once to insure even layers, for 20 to 25 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on rack for 10 minutes; invert cakes on rack; remove pans; turn cakes right side up; cool completely.
- Make Coffee-Cream frosting: In well chilled bowl beat heavy cream until it starts to thicken; beat in sugar and instant coffee until stiff.
- Divide frosting evenly to fill between layers and frost top. Garnish with almonds if desired.
Simple to put together and makes a large cake. I made a coffee butter cream to use in place of the whipped cream because this won't vanish if one night and I have no room in my fridge for the cake. It has been deemed completely worthy of 5 stars by the gents of my house and each send a a special thank you to ElaineAnn. I couldn't locate a 3rd 9 inch pan so mine is a bit odd because the top layer is from an 8" pan. It was done in 20 mins.