Recipe by Whisper
I got this recipe from Thru the Grapevine, a cookbook put out by the Junior League of Elmira. This cookie is said to have been Ronald Reagan's favorite cookie. Try it yourself and see why! These can be made ahead and frozen.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup currant jam or 1⁄2 cup raspberry jam
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 cups nuts, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine butter with 1/2 cup sugar and mix until creamy.
- Beat in salt and egg yolks.
- Gradually add flour.
- When dough becomes hard to work, knead it with fingers until smooth.
- Spread dough into greased 17x12 jellyroll pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven, cool slightly, and spread evenly with jam.
- Set pan aside.
- In a deep bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer at top speed until stiff peaks form.
- Blend in nuts and remaining sugar.
- Spread egg mixture over jam, going right to the end of the pan.
- Return pan to oven and bake for another 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool 15 minutes.
- While still warm, cut into bars or squares.