Recipe by Nita A.
This salad celabrates spring with fresh herbs, Vidalias and goat cheese. Add rotisserie chicken, shrimp, salmon or beef to make it a main dish.
- 2 bunches golden beets, greens trimmed
- 2 bunches red beets, greens trimmed
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 4 slices baguette, toasted
- 3 ounces herbed goat cheese
- 1 vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Put beets into two separate saucepans (to keep colors intact). Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer beets 15 minutes or until tender. Rinse beets separately under cold running water. Rub off skins with an old kitchen towel or paper towels. Cut beets in quarters.
- Whisk honey, vinegar and thyme together in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil, salt and pepper until blended.
- Combine beets and 1/4 cup vinaigrette.
- Spread each baguette slice with goat cheese and broil until brown on the top. Combine lettuce, beets, onions and 1/3 cup vinaigrette; toss well. Serve with goat cheese crostini. You'll have leftover vinaigrette.