Recipe by Judith N.
Courtesy of our local paper, this recipe won a main-dish category and was also an overall winner at the Vidalia Onion Festival cook-off a few years back. From a woman named Shirley Poole who says it is also delicious served cold.
- 1 deep dish pie shell
- 2 cups vidalia onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups four-cheese Mexican blend cheese (grated)
- 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese (grated)
- 1 -2 firm ripe tomatoes, halved lengthwise and cut into thin wedges
- green onion top, chopped
- Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons margarine (melted)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place pie crust in 9-inch glass pie pan. Prick bottom and sides with fork and bake as directed for 5 minutes. Cool.
- Lightly saute onion in olive oil 2 to 3 minutes; salt and pepper as desired. Place onions in bottom of crust, top with cheeses; place tomatoes on cheese in circular pattern around edge and middle of dish. Cover with chopped green onion tops. Lightly sprinkle bread crumbs and drizzle with melted margarine.
- Bake 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Allow to cool before slicing and serving.