Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
In 'Spring Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
Make and share this Vidalia Onion Soup With Cheddar Toasts recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 lbs vidalia onions, cut into thin half-moons
- 1 cup hearty red wine (such as a Shiraz-Cabernet blend)
- 8 cups homemade beef stock (or canned low-sodium beef broth)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (or 1 t. dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh ground black pepper
- 12 baguette, slices toasted
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Melt the butter in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Stir in the onions and cover.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cover again and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are deep golden brown and very tender, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in the wine; increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Cook until the wine is reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the stock, vinegar, thyme, and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Decrease the heat to med-low and simmer until full-flavored, about 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Position a broiler rack about 6 inches from the source of heat and preheat the broiler.
- Ladle the soup into six large flameproof soup crocks.
- Place two toasts in each crock and sprinkle with the Cheddar.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 1 minute.
- Serve immediately.