Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is posted by request and was found on the net. Original poster is Burbage.
- 1 1⁄2 gallons ground vidalia onions, around 10 pounds
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 1 quart vinegar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon pickling spices, tied in a spice bag
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimientos, chopped well
- 4 1⁄2 cups sugar
- In a large glass bowl mix together the ground onions and salt, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Squeeze out the liquid and discard.
- In a large stainless steel or enamel pot add to the onions the vinegar, sugar, spice bag, turmeric and pimento.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Ladle into clean, hot sterile jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet.
- Adjust processing time for higher altitudes.