Recipe by Charlotte J
Two reasons why I'm posting this recipe, the photo of it is gorgeous and I have 20 pounds of Vidalia onions to use. Recipe by Brian Stapleton, Executive Chef, Food & Beverage Director of The Carolina Crossroads Restaurant & Bar, The Carolina Inn in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 medium vidalia onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium vine-ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium vine-ripe yellow tomatoes, diced
- 12 ounces fresh blue lump crabmeat, picked over to remove shell fragments
- 1⁄4 cup virgin olive oil
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 basil leaves, julienned
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl combine vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Add Vidalia Onion and cucumber slices to vinegar mixture, toss to coat.
- Marinate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Add tomatoes, crab meat, olive oil, scallions and basil.
- Toss gently and adjust seasoning.
- To serve, divide salad among four chilled plates.