Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Found this recipe awhile ago on another recipe site. I've made this for many picnics and holiday parties.
- 1 tablespoon light vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped vidalia onions (or other sweet onion)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup strong beef stock
- 2 tablespoons medium-dry sherry
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- kosher salt
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Add the garlic and 1 generous cup of the onions, and sauté over medium high heat until softened (do not brown), 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the sugar and the thyme, drizzle in the stock and sherry, and simmer until the liquid is reduced to 1 tablespoon, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Combine the cream cheese and sour cream in a mixing bowl and whip together with an electric mixer on high speed to soften and combine.
- Add the cooled onion mixture and stir or blend in on low speed.
- Stir in chives and remaining raw onions.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Spoon into a serving bowl and serve with crackers such as Triscuits.
- Recommend you refrigerate for a couple hours to allow flavors to mix.
Made this for our 3rd of July party and it was almost instantly gone! Wonderful dip!