Recipe by Bergy
MMMmm Onion custard Imagine that! If you love onions you'll love this recipe. Igot this recipe from the Vidalia web pages and posted it for a request - it sounds good.I would serve it as a main dish with a green salad and crusty rolls - any other ideas?
Top Review by Pets'R'us
We had this custard one evening with a baked potato and salad, and last night what was left as a side dish with our roast chicken dinner. It reheated very well and was even sweeter than two nights before, I'm sure this will also go very well with roast beef. Can not get Vidalia onions over here in Holland and used sweet Spanish onions.Thank you Bergy!!
- 4 large vidalia onions, halved and very thiinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- chopped chives (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions in the butter, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft& golden Let onions cool to room temp.
- Meanwhile whisk the eggs, milk& egg yolk together, add salt, nutmeg& pepper Stir in the cooked onions, mix well.
- Pour into an oven proof buttered dish (1 1/2 qt size).
- Bake at 325F for 40-50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted in the center Sprinkle with chives serve hot.