Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
If you like sweet onions, you will like this dip. Served hot and bubbly.
- 3 large vidalia onions or 3 large other sweet onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (8 oz.)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- Cook onion in butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender.
- Combine onion, cheese, mayonnaise, hot sauce, and garlic; stir well.
- Pour into a lightly buttered 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375ºF for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
- Serve dip with tortilla chips or assorted crackers.
Thank you for giving me a hot dip recipe to rival my sister's. I did cut down 1/4 cup on the mayo and used 1/4 cup of sour cream. Excellent!
Yummm! This was really good! I could eat it straight out of the pan...forget the crackers! I think next time I will try to add some sort of topping, maybe cornflake crumbs or bread crumbs. That is all it needs to make it one of those appetizer onions in a baking dish.
Very good. I added crispy bacon to this and used mayo, sour cream and cream cheese. This was the favorite dip at our house last night, thanks for the recipe.