Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from the 2010 cookbook, Taste of Home Prize Winning Recipes.
- 6 large sweet onions, sliced (about 12 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 cups butter flavored crackers, crushed
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F, then grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender & liquid has evaporated.
- Place half of the onions in the prepared baking dish, & sprinkle with half of the cracker crumbs & cheeses. Repeat the layering once more.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
This was good and easy to make. I decreased it to 2 servings and used a parmesan/romano blend shredded cheese along with the grated parmesan and cheddar. The only change I made was to use a little spray butter on the top to moisten the cracker crumbs. Made for PRMR.
*Made for Australia/NZ Swap #41* SUPER yummy ! Had never done anything like this, but DH gave 2 thumbs up ! Amazing, since AFTER I sauteed the onion, realized I had no "BUTTER" crackers ! Quickly smashed a sleeve of water crackers and sprinkled with butter flavoring. Can only imagine how much better it will be with proper ingredients ! Have plenty for another night. Thanks for posting, Syd !
Oh my goodness, this was good! I quartered the recipe, using 1 1/2 large Vidalias and a mix of cheddar and Monterey Jack along with the Parm. I used Ritz crackers. I ate the whole thing. Yum. Going into my keepers!