Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
From "The Great Big Butter Cookbook".
Make and share this Vidalia Onion and Wild Leek Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb wild leek
- 4 vidalia onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups amber beer
- 5 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 3 ounces pepato cheese, shaved
- Trim the leeks, cutting off and reserving the leaves. Slice the leek bulbs and add to the sliced onions.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the butter and wait until it foams and begins to turn nutty brown. Add the onions and leeks and cook over a high heat until the onions are brown. Add the beer and heat until the liquid reduces by half. Add the stock and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle half the soup, a little at a time, into a blender and puree. Combine the pureed soup with the simmered soup.
- Cut the leek leaves into thin ribbons and stir into the soup. Ladle into bowls, top with bread and generous amounts of shaved cheese.