Recipe by Olha
This sweet yet savory compote also turns plain roast pork or roast chicken into a special meal. It is very versatile. You can add port and ginger if you like or any infused flavor to match an accompanying dish.
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups vidalia onions, sliced thin
- 1 cup bing cherry, pitted and cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup white wine (chardonnay)
- 3⁄4 cup red wine (cabernet)
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a large deep sided saute pan or casserole pan, saute the onions gently in the olive oil (cover to speed this up) until translucent.
- Remove cover, add the honey and sherry vinegar and cook 5 minutes.
- Add the cherries and the wines and one bay leaf, simmer 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook until liquid is thickened slightly.
- Let cool.
- Keep in refrigerator if not using immediately.