Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
For onion-lovers! I use 1/2 cup ricotta and 1/2 cup sour cream for this, and also add in some cooked crumbled bacon or ham, you have the option of adding them in if desired, this recipe makes two 8 or 9-inch pies :)
- 6 large vidalia onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (to taste or use 1/2 teaspoon white salt or to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon hot sauce (or to taste)
- 2 (8 -9 inch) unbaked pie pastry
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium skillet melt butter over medium heat; add in onions and 1 teaspoon sugar, cook stirring until softened (about 10-12 minutes, mix in the Worcestershire sauce until combined; cool slightly.
- Transfer the onions and pan juices to a large bowl, then add in eggs, sour cream, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon seasoned salt and hot sauce (or Tabasco) mix well to combine, then season with black pepper to taste.
- Divide the mixture between the 2 unbaked pie shells.
- Sprinkle each pie with about 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese then 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon paprika.
- Place the 2 pies onto a large baking sheet.
- Bake at 357 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for another 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
- Cool slightly before slicing.