Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe I look forward to making in the Spring, when the Vidalias come in season. You can also use other sweet onions in this, such as Texas Sweets, Mauis, or Walla Wallas.
- 4 large vidalia onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Cut the onions in half so the rings show.
- Place the onions cut side up in a buttered baking dish.
- Mix together the tomato juice, water, butter and honey.
- Pour mixture over onions.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until onions are tender.
The tomato juice, honey and butter did not add as much flavor to the onions as I was expecting. I would suggest putting salt and pepper on the onions before baking. My onions were large and they required about 1 hour and 45 minutes to cook at 325 degrees.