Prep 5 mins
Cook 33 mins
Saw this on Paula's Home cooking. Looks Yummy!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large vidalia onions or 1 large other sweet onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Spray 8-inch square baking pan with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and saute the onion until tender, but not browned, for about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the muffin mix, egg, milk, sour cream, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the salt, and dill weed. Stir to combine. Pour into the prepared pan and top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, until set and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into squares.
- These can also be made into muffins by simply spraying muffin tins with cooking spray and filling using an ice cream scoop. Bake time is 10 minutes using the muffin tins.
My grandma made these muffins and brought them over for Thanksgiving. I loved them and so did my nine month old son. I found the recipe here and i cannot wait to bake them myself! They were moist, rich, and tasty!
I had to compromise on the rating with DH...I adored this, he didn't. He really could not put his finger on why, as he liked all the ingredients. He said maybe it's because cornbread should ne cornbread....it's a southern thing. And I said "But this is Paula Deen!!!" There was no swaying him in this matter. I am happy though, all the more for ME! The next time I prepare this I will not put cheese on top of it...it made it much too brown to be visually appealing, but it tasted just fine to me.