Recipe by Judy in MO
This recipe is from my husband's grandmother's handwritten cookbook. It was a rationing program recipe written during the war years.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1 cup white corn syrup
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening and orange rind.
- Gradually beat in syrup blending for one minute.
- Add 1/4 of dry ingredients.
- Add eggs one at a time beating after the addition of each.
- Add the remaining flour and milk with flavoring added alternately.
- Bake in two eight inch cake pans in a moderate oven (350°F) for 30 minutes.
- Frost with lemon frosting.