1 hr 20 mins
Lise in Indiana's Note:
This solid, satisfying cake was typical of a hearty Victorian tea. Fresh lavender makes a pretty and aromatic garnish
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup poppy seed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons lime zest, grated
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- 8 eggs, separated
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup superfine sugar
- 1Soak poppy seeds in milk for 4 hours (or over-night) then rinse under cold running water; drain well.
- 2Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a Bundt pan or 10-inch tube pan.
- 3Cream the butter and gradually add 1 1/4 cups of the sugar.
- 4Beat in the zests and the poppy seeds.
- 5Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 6Continue beating for about 5 minutes, until the mixture if very light and creamy.
- 7In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until peaks are stiff, but not dry.
- 8Sift the flour and salt over the egg yolk mixture, one third at a time, folding in after each addition.
- 9Gently fold in about 1/4 of the egg whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites, blending gently but thoroughly.
- 10Pour batter carefully into the prepared pan.
- 11Bake one hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean when tested in the center.
- 12Make syrup while cake bakes: Combine juices with sugar and heat until sugar is completely dissolved; cool slightly.
- 13Immediately after removing cake from the oven, pierce the top all over with a thin skewer.
- 14Pour the citrus syrup all over the top to cover completely.
- 15Cool cake in the pan to allow syrup to be absorbed completely.
- 16Remove cake from pan and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Victorian Seed Cake
Serving Size: 1 (106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 424.4
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 174.3 mg
- Sodium 173.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 27.5 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: