Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
An old-fashioned sponge cake recipe. Use with my recipe for Devonshire Cream Trifle or Parfait.
Make and share this Victorian Hot Milk Sponge Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Grease and lightly flour a 9x1 1/2 inch or 8x 1/2 inch round baking pan. In a small mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set pan and flour mixture aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat egg with an electric mixer on high speed for 3 to 4 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating on medium speed 4 to 5 minutes or until sugar is almost dissolved. Add flour mixture. Beat low to medium speed "just until combined".
- In a small saucepan heat the milk and butter just until butter melts. Stir warm milk mixture into egg mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan; spread evenly.
- Bake about 18 minutes or until cake top springs back when touched. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen cake from sides of pan. Invert cake onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- To make ahead, wrap cooled cake in freezer wrap or foil and freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature before using.
This was my first encounter with sponge cake and I'm really pleased. It was really easy and quick to make. I don't think it took me 45 min, even including the 18 min bake time. Made for ZWT6.
I made this to use in Devonshire Cream Trifle or Parfait easy, fast and yummy. great texture for trifles. I will be using this for other things where I need a cake ingredient. I was in a hurry and it was much faster than the 45 minute prep noted in the description.
Woohoo! It's an amazing recipe! A LOVELY cake. I made this w/Devonshire Cream Trifle or Parfait for dh's birthday & the kids decided this should be made for my birthday as well. Made for 2/10 Aussie swap. Thank you!!