1 hr 40 mins
Drizzled with a delicious brandied citrus glaze and served atop a fancy cut crystal pedestal cake stand that's strewn with rose petals and fresh lavender flowers, this solid, satisfying poppy seed cake makes a fitting tribute to a hearty traditional Victorian High Tea. Adapted from "Having Tea" by Tricia Foley.
My Private Note
bundt o ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup dark poppy seed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 tablespoons grated lime rind
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender, powder (optional)
- 8 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1Soak the poppy seeds in the milk for 4 hours or more. Rinse the seeds under cold running water, and then drain well.
- 2Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a Bundt pan or a 10-inch tube pan.
- 3Cream the butter and gradually beat in 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar. Beat in the brandy, grated lime and orange rinds, lavender powder and poppy seeds. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 4Continue beating for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture is very light and creamy.
- 5In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar and beat until the peaks are stiff but not dry.
- 6Sift the flour and salt over the egg yolk mixture a third at a time, folding in after each addition. Gently fold in a quarter of the egg whites; then fold in the rest.
- 7Pour the batter carefully into the prepared pan. Bake 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean when tested in the center. If you like a tangy cake,make a syrup by combining the lime juice and orange juice (and brandy!) in a glass measuring cup; stir in the superfine sugar until it has completely dissolved.
- 8Immediately upon removing from the oven, prick the top of the cake with a long-tined fork or thin skewer and pour the citrus-brandy syrup all over the top to cover it completely. Allow syrup to soak in and let stand until cool, about 1 hour, before removing pan. Place cake on serving platter and garnish with sprigs of fresh edible flowers.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Victorian Citrus Glazed Poppy Seed Cake
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 608.4
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.0 g
- Saturated Fat 19.3 g
- Cholesterol 223.7 mg
- Sodium 127.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 37.6 g
- Protein 9.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: