Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
The first time I ever really tried a Victoria sponge was at High Tea when I was in Cape Town, South Africa, looking up at table top mountain, I then had it on the cliffs at Hermanes watching the wales during high tea. So when I got home I had to find the recipe, and I did
- 250 g butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons jam
- You will also need icing sugar for this recipe.
- Grease 2 deep 20cm round cake pans.
- Cover bases with paper, grease paper.
- Beat butter, essence and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beat well between additions.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Stir in sifted flour in 2 batches.
- Spread mixture evenly between prepared pans.
- Bake in a moderate oven for about 25 minutes.
- Turn cakes onto wire rack to cool.
- Join cakes with jam.
- Dust cake with a little sifted icing sugar.
- This is best made on the day of serving.
- Can freeze, do not microwave.