Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is from "Ambrosia". The cookbook is from Vicksburg, MS. This is an excellent sandwich with homemade mayonnaise.
- 4 loaves day-old bread
- 6 -8 medium tomatoes, peeled
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, grated with juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 lemons, juice of or 1⁄4 cup lemon concentrate
- Cut bread with biscuit cutter into 72 rounds.
- Slices tomatoes thinly and place on double sheets of paper towels to drain.
- Salt and pepper tomato slices.
- Spread Homemade Mayonnaise on bread rounds.
- Place well-drained tomato slices on half the bread rounds and sprinkle again with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon onion with juice over each tomato and top with remaining bread rounds.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- HOMEMADE MAYONNAISE: (Yields: 2 cups).
- Combine first 5 ingredients in food processor blender.
- Blend 45 seconds to 1 minute.
- Gradually add oil with processor running until mixture thickens.
- When thick, turn off and add lemon juice.