Recipe by Vicki in CT
Delicious,spicy, and hearty. Always gets rave reviews. I often double as it freezes well. Can also serve with corn chips, cheese, sour cream.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 24 ounces tofu, burger type crumbled
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes, extra hot if available
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 15 ounces kidney beans, canned
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans, canned
- 15 ounces black beans, canned
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Stir in onion, bay leaves, celery, jalapeno, and garlic. Cook until onion is tender.
- Stir in cumin, oregano, salt, black pepper, chile powder, and both canned tomatoes. Reduce heat, cover pot and cook 10 minutes.
- Add tofu and canned beans. Heat to a strong simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer slowly for 45 minutes. Remove bay leaves before serving.
- For the Vegan's don't serve with dairy products such as the cheese and sour cream. Use non dairy alternatives.