When we have steak night at our house, there is so much to eat that we usually have leftover steak (ribeye or porterhouse). A couple of days later Vicki makes her cheese steak panini. Yummo ! Dinner for two:
- 2 asiago cheese rolls (or your favorite sandwich rolls)
- 1⁄2 large yellow onion
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, sliced in 2 inch strips
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus more for grilling
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces leftover steak or 8 ounces deli steak, sliced thin
- 4 slices havarti cheese (or a combination) or 4 slices monterey jack pepper cheese (or a combination)
- garlic powder
- Heat panini grill or regular grill to medium heat.
- Slice open the rolls lengthwise and set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet, melt the butter with the oil and saute the vegetables while seasoning to taste until tender and set aside. Place 2 slices of cheese on one half of each roll followed by 4 oz. of the sliced steak. Place half of the vegetables on top of the meat followed by two more slices of cheese. Top with other half of roll.
- Butter both sides of your sandwiches and grill until browned and cheese is starting to melt. Great with crispy fries.
- Cooking time includes sauteing vegetables.