Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This has been a holiday tradition and special occasion dish in our home and with our friends...I usually serve them with baked ham, but when the meal calls for mashed potatoes, and you want to give your family a treat, I suggest you try these! YUM!
- Cook potatoes in salted water until tender.
- (About 10 minutes from time water gently boils) Drain.
- Combine potatoes with salts, onion, butter, cream cheese, and sour cream.
- Whip until mixture is smooth and fluffy.
- Place in buttered 2-qt.
- Top with grated cheese if desired.
- (May be covered and refrigerated overnight or frozen at this point, if desired) Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
These were "over the top" fabulous! I doubled the recipe for a small dinner party of 15 and there was not a bit left! I also was not sure what type of cheese to top them with, so I used sharp cheddar. These reminded me of twice baked potatoes without the shell :) Wonderful presentation and EVERYONE raved over them...thanks for sharing!
I am back to add that these potatoes were just as fresh and delicious tasting after having been in the freezer 4 weeks, thawed and then reheated. And if I could I'd add at least 2 more stars for that convenience! They will definitely be on my holiday table. Gee, I can make potatoes now for both Thanksgiving and Christmas! Way cool! Thanks OzMartha!
Oh my goodness, these were good. I couldn't keep my fork out of them as I was putting the food away. They are rich and flavorful and would work for just about any meal. Thank you for sharing with oh so yummy recipe.