Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
When I was little, Mamaw would bake sweet potatoes and serve them up with butter. Until I was dang near an adult, I didn't know there was any other way to eat them. Now, I make them tons of different ways. This one is pretty good; not my best, but still pretty good.
- 1 3⁄4 lbs sweet potatoes, about 2 big ones
- 1⁄4 cup butter, plus
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- Cut the sweet potatoes into 2 inch chunks and place in a pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium. Cook until tender, about 20-25 minutes. Drain and return to pot; mash until smooth and cool 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 1 quart casserole. Melt 1/4 cup of butter. In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Beat in the vanilla and the potatoes. Transfer to the casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, stir together the pecans and flour. Mix in the remaining butter until pea-sized pieces form. Crumble crumbs over the potatoes.
- Bake until top is bubbly, about 30 minutes.