Recipe by Skipper/Sy
This is a great cold and creamy soup for a hot summers day. Vichyssoise Soup was created in America. I have added some Caraway Seeds and Sour Cream to give it an "American Jewish" taste. Enjoy!
- 3 -5 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 3 leeks, cleaned and chopped (Important to remove the sand)
- 3 large potatoes, skin removed and cubed
- 5 cups chicken stock, heated (simmer 5 minutes if using bullion cubes or powder)
- 1 -2 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 large cucumber, skin and seed removed and cut into small pieces (add a little salt, toss and let stand for a while)
- 1 -2 stalk celery, cleaned and cut into small pieces
- 3⁄4-1 cup half-and-half cream (Substitute- Farm Fresh "Original" Brand Non-Dairy Creamer,Liquid)
- 1⁄2 cup instant mashed potatoes (or flour to thicken)
- caraway seeds or curry powder
- salt and white pepper
- chives or parsley or Mrs. Dash seasoning mix, as garnish
- serve with sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Put potatoes in salted water and cook, until almost done.
- Remove potatoes, mash and then add to chicken stock.
- Add garlic and 2 tablespoons butter/margarine and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Put potato stock through a strainer and remove any lumpy pieces.
- In a separate cooking pot add 1 tablespoon of butter/margarine and add the celery, stir for 1 minute and remove.
- In the same pot put in 2 tablespoons butter/margarine, add leeks and cook until slightly translucent.
- Add potato stock to leeks, stir and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add Instant mashed potatoes and stir briefly.
- Turn off heat and add half & half cream, stir, add salt & white pepper to taste.
- Add Caraway Seeds and/or a pinch of Curry Powder.
- Let cool and then add the cucumbers and celery- both should remain crunchy!
- Put into a big glass jar/container and CHILL in refrigerator.
- Serve in individual bowls with a pinch of either parsley and/or perhaps a pinch of Mrs Dash or Paprika on top for color.
- Have available sour cream on the side!