1/2 Photos of Vichyssoise Soup
This is a great cold and creamy soup for a hot summers day. Vichyssoise Soup was created in America. I have added some Caraway Seeds and Sour Cream to give it an "American Jewish" taste. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -5 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 3 leeks, cleaned and chopped (Important to remove the sand)
- 3 large potatoes, skin removed and cubed
- 5 cups chicken stock, heated (simmer 5 minutes if using bullion cubes or powder)
- 1 -2 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 large cucumber, skin and seed removed and cut into small pieces (add a little salt, toss and let stand for a while)
- 1 -2 stalk celery, cleaned and cut into small pieces
- 3/4-1 cup half-and-half cream (Substitute- Farm Fresh "Original" Brand Non-Dairy Creamer,Liquid)
- 1/2 cup instant mashed potatoes (or flour to thicken)
- caraway seeds or curry powder
- salt and white pepper
- chives or parsley or Mrs. Dash seasoning mix, as garnish
- serve with sour cream
- 1Put potatoes in salted water and cook, until almost done.
- 2Remove potatoes, mash and then add to chicken stock.
- 3Add garlic and 2 tablespoons butter/margarine and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- 4Put potato stock through a strainer and remove any lumpy pieces.
- 5In a separate cooking pot add 1 tablespoon of butter/margarine and add the celery, stir for 1 minute and remove.
- 6In the same pot put in 2 tablespoons butter/margarine, add leeks and cook until slightly translucent.
- 7Add potato stock to leeks, stir and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- 8Add Instant mashed potatoes and stir briefly.
- 9Turn off heat and add half & half cream, stir, add salt & white pepper to taste.
- 10Add Caraway Seeds and/or a pinch of Curry Powder.
- 11Let cool and then add the cucumbers and celery- both should remain crunchy!
- 12Put into a big glass jar/container and CHILL in refrigerator.
- 13Serve in individual bowls with a pinch of either parsley and/or perhaps a pinch of Mrs Dash or Paprika on top for color.
- 14Have available sour cream on the side!
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vichyssoise Soup
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.4
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 32.4 mg
- Sodium 380.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 11.2 g