Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cold potato and leek soup. This version is low fat, but yummy. Traditionally served cold, this soup is also wonderful served warm.
- 5 large potatoes
- 1 large leek
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 cups skim milk
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 pint half & half light cream
- fresh chives
- Peel and chop potatoes.
- Slice leek across into one inch chunks and rinse in a bowl of cold water to remove any sand from the layers.
- Pour chicken broth into a large pot and add potatoes, garlic and leeks.
- Add enough milk to cover.
- Add salt& pepper to taste.
- Simmer until potatoes are fork tender.
- Puree with an immersion blender in the pot or in small batches in your counter top blender.
- Add fat-free half& half.
- If serving hot-garnish with scallions, shredded cheddar and bacon bits.
- If serving cold-chill soup and bowls and garnish with fresh chives and perhaps a dollop of sour cream.
although we generally love this soup we found this version very bland. i think perhaps the amounts of skim milk and chicken stock should be reversed and there should be more leeks and less potatoes. sorry.