Beets, called beetroot in England are another of those unjustly despised vegetables.
Make and share this Vicarage Beets recipe from Food.com.
- Wash the beets and cut off the stalks but do not remove the skins or they will bleed while cooking.
- Drop into a saucepan of boiling salted water and cook until they are tender. The amount of time will vary depending on their size and age, but it should take between 40 minutes and 1 hour.
- To determine whether they are sufficiently cooked, press them gently with your fingers.
- If the skin comes off easily they are done.
- Remove the beets from the saucepan and peel off the skins. Discard cooking water. Return them to the saucepan and toss for a few minutes with the parsley, chives and butter.
- Season to taste with a little salt and serve.
Very easy recipe. I couldn't find baby beets so after cooking and peeling, I quartered them. Went great with a roast chicken. Made for Best of 2012 game.
I peeled and sliced the beets and then steamed them until tender about 40 minutes. Then added them to a bowl with the butter and herbs. Wonderful taste. It's a great way to serve beets. Thanks morgainegeiser :) Made for ZWT8 for Diners, Winers and Chives
Good, simple recipe. Nice addition of chives and very pretty recipe too.