Recipe by Sharon123
Yummy bars created for an annual 5 K "Fun Run" and adapted from Cooking for Two with the Micheff Sisters. A vegan recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup roasted peanuts
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup dried apricot
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds (raw preferred but can use roasted)
- 1 cup oats (quick or old fashioned)
- 1 1⁄4 cups puffed rice cereal (like rice crispies)
- 1⁄2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup (or agave syrup or brown rice syrup)
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine nuts, dried fruits, sunflower seeds, oats and rice cereal. Mix well and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine peanut butter, honey and maple syrup. Heat and stir until melted and smooth.
- Add vital wheat gluten. Stir until smooth. Do NOT bring to a boil. Stir in vanilla and pour over dry ingredients. Stir well and pour into an 8 x 8" pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pat mixture down firmly into pan. Cut into 12 bars. When the bars have cooled, wrap individually in plastic wrap. Enjoy!