Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Another family favorite great especially at Thanksgiving but good anytime.
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cansof sliced canned beets
- 3⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 10 whole cloves
- salt and pepper
- Open cans of beets, reserve liquid from one can of beets.
- Discard juice of the other.
- In a sauce pan, put the liquid (not beets) of one can of beets and add the vinegar, the sugar and the whole cloves (which will be strained out later); add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring all to a boil and then reduce to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove beet sauce from heat.
- Strain out and discard the whole cloves.
- Place drained sliced beets from the two cans into a heatproof serving bowl of adequate size.
- Pour hot beet sauce mixture over the sliced beets.
- Let beets cool and marinate in the pickled beet sauce for at least two hours before serving.
- Ideally these beets are best served marinated overnight and well chilled.
- I recommend letting them cool to room temperature before refrigerating. Then refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours or overnight for optimum flavor.