Another family favorite great especially at Thanksgiving but good anytime.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Open cans of beets, reserve liquid from one can of beets.
- 2Discard juice of the other.
- 3In a sauce pan, put the liquid (not beets) of one can of beets and add the vinegar, the sugar and the whole cloves (which will be strained out later); add salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Bring all to a boil and then reduce to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- 5Remove beet sauce from heat.
- 6Strain out and discard the whole cloves.
- 7Place drained sliced beets from the two cans into a heatproof serving bowl of adequate size.
- 8Pour hot beet sauce mixture over the sliced beets.
- 9Let beets cool and marinate in the pickled beet sauce for at least two hours before serving.
- 10Ideally these beets are best served marinated overnight and well chilled.
- 11I recommend letting them cool to room temperature before refrigerating. Then refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours or overnight for optimum flavor.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vi’s Pickled Beets
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 245.7
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 395.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 55.6 g
- Protein 1.8 g