Prep 30 mins
Cook 14 mins
I have sold these at a local corner store. The filling is to die for. Enjoy.
The Cookie makes 14 cookies
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup Crisco
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 5 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
The Cream fills approx 15 whoopie pies
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup Crisco
- 2 cups marshmallow creme
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, dissolved in
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- For the cookie, preheat the oven to 375°F Cream together the margarine, crisco, and sugar.
- Mix in the egg.
- Beat in cocoa, flour, powder, soda, salt, milk, and vanilla.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes Cool and fill.
- For the filling, cream together the margarine, crisco, marshmallow creme, and 2 cups of the confectioners' sugar.
- Beat in the salt, warm water, and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in the other 2-3 cups confectioners' sugar.
- Sandwich filling between two cookies. Enjoy!
A tried and true recipe. It isn't just a Maine recipe. They have been a long time recipe here in Pennsylvania since I was a kid. These are sold at local markets and especially by the Amish. Mmm..good.
thanks so much this recipe was awesome!!! i think my husband loves whoopie pies more than me lol... he loves them so do all the kids. i have 6 had to double the batch . made enough extra filling that i stuck the extra in the freezer and secretly nibble it a teaspoon at a time.. GREAT RECIPE !!!!
Just wasn't my favorite - not chocolate-y enough for me. Sorry, I just thought they were average.