Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Do I need to say more? This recipe is rich and very "unhealthy"....who cares......IT'S CHEESECAKE!
- 1 cup cracker crumb
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, ground
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup flour, sifted
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 lemon zest
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Mix together the crumbs, nuts, and melted butter.
- Pack onto the bottom of a greased 10-inch spring form pan.
- Chill 30 minutes.
- Beat together the cheese, 1 cup of the sugar, and the salt.
- Add the flour and egg yolks, one at a time, beating until very smooth.
- Beat in the lemon juice, vanilla, almond extract, lemon zest and sour cream.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, then gradually beat in the remaining sugar until stiff but not dry.
- Fold into the cheese mixture.
- Slowly pour into the prepared chilled spring form pan.
- Bake in a preheated 325°F oven 1 1/4 hours.
- Open the oven door, turn off the oven, and leave the cake to cool for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and finish cooling on a cake rack, then chill at least an hour before removing the sides of the pan.
- Serves 10 - 12.
Very Yummy Very Rich Cheesecake by txzuckerbaeckerin started it all! I was so touched by the response of txzuckerbaeckerin to my inquiry on Recipezaar. If it wasn't for the fact I had lost my favorite cheesecake recipe in moving and was determined to find one similar or the same, I would not have found Recipezaar. My desperate search found me extremely late one night on the Recipezaar site and I posted my lost recipe as best as I could remember. The next day in the forum where I had posted in, there it was the "One and Only" lost cheesecake recipe. I knew it was the one from some of the ingredients such as the 5 egg whites, flour, sour cream and amount of creamcheese. I baked this Cheesecake for a Birthday Celebration. The five egg whites that are whipped and folded into this cheesecake give it such a lightness without taking anything away from the exquisite creaminess or the richness. The compliments were many including the Birthday Boy saying this was the best cheesecake that he had ever tasted in his life and requested that I had to make another one for him and his family to take home the next day! I have made this cheesecake so many times over the the last 2 years, I can say that the consistency, texture and taste has been for me and my guests perfection!
I tried this cheesecake recipe last Sunday..and had to make it again on Tuesday and then again on Friday! 10 different people have tried it..within a week, and they have all raved about the taste.. it is the best cheesecake recipe I have ever tried. My husband is so particular about his food, and he is asking for it again to be made. I have found that it seems to taste better the day after it is baked.. and then if it lasts.. it is even better the second day after it is cooked. I used Farm Cheese, which is an Australian full cream cheese and it was fanatstic. I also added an extra tablespoon of lemon juice (and omitted the zest)on one occassion and that made it taste even better. If you are looking for a recipe for the BEST New York Baked Cheesecake, look no further, as this is the one. Annie #7