Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
As the name says, this is a very YUMMY rice dish. I like to make this with a beef roast or steaks. You can substitute fresh mushrooms for the canned (brown them first in a little olive oil). You can also use almond slivers instead of the sliced almonds. Another variation is to use 1 cup of brown rice and 1 cup of white rice, although I have not yet tried that combination myself.
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1 very large onion, chopped fine
- 2 cups rice
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth, lower sodium and fat-free
- 1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 (8 ounce) cans button mushrooms, with liquid
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large frying pan, saute' onion in butter.
- Add uncooked rice and simmer 5 minutes.
- Pour all ingredients except almonds into a casserole (I use a casserole that is probably 12" square, but you can use a 13x9" one just as well.
- Bake 1 hour at 325 degrees.
- Stir in almonds when done.
I thought this was a very good dish, but my family was indifferent to it -- go figure. Next time I am going to try it without the cheese. I would have given it more stars if there was family consensus. It was good enough to try again, maybe the family will like it better the next time.