Recipe by kimbearly
23 years ago hubby and i were honeymooning in gatlinburg, tenessee and ate at a restaurant called the brass lantern. we had trout and a vegetable soup that was "peppery" according to the hubby. this is my best re-creation of that soup.......personally i try to keep the starchy veggies out as i found out from a dietician that vegetable soup was considered a carb heavy soup due to peas, potatoes, beans.....feel free to add these to your own taste!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 shallots, sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth or 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, in juice
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili paste
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 cups frozen green beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- heat oil in large stockpot and saute shallots and celery till soft.
- add broth,tomatoes,tomato paste,and water.
- bring to a boil.
- reduce heat to a simmer and cook,uncovered, for about 20 minutes.
- add vegetables to the pot and return to a simmer.
- season with salt and pepper.
- add chili paste and simmer soup till veggies are tender.