Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
*UVC - "unidentifiable vegetable content". Posted across from bestrecipes.com.au - thanks Emma. This bolognaise has a lot of extra veggies hidden in the sauce - we've had no trouble getting our small kids to eat it. Can be done without the slowcooker step, but that's what really makes this recipe taste good. If your kids notice and refuse grated zucchini, peel the green off before you grate it. Sauce also freezes well for a quick meal on a busy night
- 1 kg minced beef
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, up to
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 onions (finely diced or grated)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 small head broccoli, grated
- 1⁄4 head cauliflower, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 stalks celery, chopped finely
- 2 (415 g) cans tomatoes, diced
- 2 (415 g) cans tomato soup
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce (to taste)
- 1 (100 g) container tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- pasta, to serve
- cheese, grated, to serve
- Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan. Saute onion until transparent
- Add the garlic and saute briefly until just coloured. Add the mince and brown, breaking up regularly.
- Pour the tomatoes, soup, sauce and paste into the pan, and stir.
- Add the vegetables and stir well.
- Let simmer for at least 30 minutes
- Transfer mixture to the slow cooker to simmer for about 6 hours.
- Stir in the herbs 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with pasta and cheese.