Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love this because you can substitue almost any veggies you want, and it's a good way to get kids to eat veggies too! My favorites are eggplant, zuccini, yellow squash, mushrooms, pepper, and carrots. Broccoli and cauliflower also work great!
- 1 small eggplant, cubed
- 1 zucchini, sliced into 1/2circles
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup mushroom
- 1 (20 ounce) jar pasta sauce (I LOVE the kind with green and black olives!!)
- olive oil
- Heat oi in a skillet and add veggies. saute until they start to get tender.
- add pasta sauce.
- reduce heat and cover, simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- cook pasta according to package, serve with sauce!
- **Sometimes I like to brown THIN pork chops (or chicken) first and then throw that in too. It will finish cooking in the sauce and pull apart very easily**.
I was looking for a sauce that had eggplant and zucchini in it to feed a kid who only eats corn for a veggie. pinky kookie was nice enough to point this recipe out to me. I didn't have the mushrooms but I did have some purple peppers and used those. I was feeling really brave when I started but got nervous that Mr. Picky wouldn't eat it the way it was written because he has issues with texture. So I put everything in a food processor and chopped it as fine as I could. After sauteing I put it back in the processor and added a little water to puree. Then I made Easy, Speedy Spaghetti Sauce #56260, our usual sauce, and added 1/3 cup of the veggie puree. I put the rest in th freezer and will continue to add to our sauce until I can reach maximum veggie tolerance. Since I didn't get the puree super smooth Mr.Picky didn't love his spaghetti as much as normal but he ate it. The rest of my family loved it. I'm off to the farmers market now to get more zucchini and eggplant. Thank you!
Really good and easy! I used puttanesca sauce and quinoa pasta. This is a great way to get more veggies in your diet. Thanks!