Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
I love this veggie casserole. Can be used as a main dish or side dish.
- 1 (10 ounce) bag spinach
- 4 medium new potatoes, unpeeled and sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook spinach in about 1 inch of gently boiling water for about 3 minutes; toss with a fork until wilted; drain well and squeeze dry; chop.
- in a 13x9 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, layer potatoes, mushrooms, cottage cheese, onions, 1 cup MJ cheese, and spinach.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add tomato sauce, parsley, basil, salt, and pepper; simmer for approximately 2-3 minutes or until flavors blend; adjust seasoning to taste.
- Pour sauce over vegetables.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake uncovered for 10 more minutes.
Agreed with previous review about the potatoes not being cooked enough. I microwaved the potatoes for 4 minutes before letting cool and slicing, but still wasn't enough! Next time I might microwave them longer or oven roast them on their own before layering into the casserole. That said, it was still delicious! Once mixed together, the potatoes weren't that off-putting. Will try this again. Oh, and it came out a little soupy on the bottom. May have been from using frozen spinach and not drying it enough? Not sure.
tasted great but the potatoes never seemed to be done. Maybe pre-baking the potatoes is the way to go.
I've made this twice now. It is like a lasagna with potato in it. I put ground beef in it to round it into a main course or leave it as is for a side dish. You can't stop eating it. The only thing...if you microwave(or bake) the potatoes beforehand, it really cuts down on cook time. Thanks Nurse Di.