Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
I love this veggie casserole. Can be used as a main dish or side dish.
Top Review by VeggieStryk
Agreed with previous review about the potatoes not being cooked enough. I microwaved the potatoes for 4 minutes before letting cool and slicing, but still wasn't enough! Next time I might microwave them longer or oven roast them on their own before layering into the casserole. That said, it was still delicious! Once mixed together, the potatoes weren't that off-putting. Will try this again. Oh, and it came out a little soupy on the bottom. May have been from using frozen spinach and not drying it enough? Not sure.
- 1 (10 ounce) bag spinach
- 4 medium new potatoes, unpeeled and sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook spinach in about 1 inch of gently boiling water for about 3 minutes; toss with a fork until wilted; drain well and squeeze dry; chop.
- in a 13x9 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, layer potatoes, mushrooms, cottage cheese, onions, 1 cup MJ cheese, and spinach.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add tomato sauce, parsley, basil, salt, and pepper; simmer for approximately 2-3 minutes or until flavors blend; adjust seasoning to taste.
- Pour sauce over vegetables.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake uncovered for 10 more minutes.