Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A winner from Mr. Food. I sprinkle some vanilla powder on top before baking. These muffins are great if you are serving a very spicy or flavorful main dish at breakfast or brunch.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 8 ounces low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400º. Line 12 muffin pan cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, 1/2 cup of the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, stir together egg, yogurt and vanila, pour over dry ingredients. Add melted butter and stir just to blend (do not overmix). Quickly spoon batter into paper liners, filling each muffin cup to the top. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp of sugar.
- Bake muffins about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove muffins to wire rack and let cool 10-15 minutes before serving.
I liked this recipe; simple quick bread recipe that wasn't overly sweet. I had used it as a base recipe and added a ripe banana, frozen blueberries, and chocolate chip. Did a minor adjustment by using 3/3 butter and vegetable oil, I was making this to put into my JK daughter's lunch box. This recipe yielded 24x2oz muffins and 2x5oz muffins. It was a little dense though so I might play around with the levelers for future batches.
Pretty dense, but a nice muffin overall. I doubled the vanilla and sprinkled chocolate chips on top before baking. I evenly spread out the batter instead of filling them to the top and it made 12 muffins when I filled each muffin tin about 60-75% full. They were done in about 14 minutes. If you fill them up to the top, you'll get less muffins, but they would probably take the full 20 minute baking time. I recommend putting the sugar for the topping in a ziploc bag and adding a drop of vanilla to make vanilla-flavored sugar and to give it an even better aroma. Large-crystal sugar works best for the topping [but use regular for the batter].
This muffin is wonderful ! I added fresh blueberries and used raw sugar on top. If you love good texture this muffin packs it all - crunchy top - soft moist middle. It's a winner!