Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is so simple to make and the flavor is scrumptious! My husband loves french toast. We love to top it with our homemade buttermilk syrup- don't let the name scare you off. I can't go back to using maple syrup ever since I tried it. The syrup is so sweet and yummy, please give it a try! Fresh cut strawberries and whipped cream would also taste great. DO NOT use instant pudding mix. Note: If you don't have buttermilk on hand, you can make your own to substitute. Just combine 1/2 cup milk with 1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice or vinegar. Let it sit for 10 minutes before using. I usually don't have buttermilk so that's what I do and it turns out the same.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (3 ounce) package vanilla pudding mix
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 slices thick bread
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
- powdered sugar, if desired
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For syrup, melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add buttermilk, corn syrup, and sugar. Stir and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; add vanilla and baking soda. Syrup will be foamy. Let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow dish, whisk together milk, pudding mix, egg, and cinnamon for 2 minutes or until well blended.
- Melt butter on hot griddle or in a skillet. Dip bread in mixture, coating both sides.
- Cook over heat for 2-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Serve with syrup and powdered sugar or with fresh fruit and whipped cream.
- Store leftover syrup in refrigerator.
I made this over the weekend for my husband for our anniversary. He absolutely loved it!! I did not make the maple syrup as I tried to be a bit healthier and added fresh blueberries and strawberries on top. Thanks for the recipe!
My daughters love this recipe and it is so easy. I first found it on the Taste of Home Bulletin Board and have been making it since 2005.
Wow !! What a great French Toast ! Very different from anything we have had before. The syrup was awesome! Yes, it is very rich, so a little will do ya! But the flavors are fabulous together!! This will be a great breakfast to serve on holidays and with guests because it is sooo easy. Also makes a lot of syrup and that can be done ahead of time, love that!!! Thanx for great addition to my files!