Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is one of my MOST FAVOURITE dishes. Khichdi=Rice and Lentil mixture. This is what I have been eating since y'day(this is given when one has loose motions). Also, this makes very good food for the pigeons and crows! Try feeding it to them(minus the yogurt), i.e., just the plain khichdi after allowing it to cool down, O my, they'll bless you. I have just shared mine with them and you have to come here to my place to watch how happily the crows and pigoens have feasted on this:) In India, this recipe is made every year on the eighth day of the festival of Durga Ashtami. We make it here in Oman as well, in our home, every year for Ashtami and serve it with traditional Potato curry and yogurt, mmmmmmmm:) Little children love this recipe and most mom's often feed this to their children to ensure they have a good balance of proteins(which comes from the yellow lentils) and carbohydrates(which comes from the rice). I really love this recipe:)
- 1 cup yellow lentils, washed,soaked in clean fresh water and drained (yellow moong dal)
- 3 cups white basmati rice, washed,soaked in water and drained
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Add cumin seeds.
- Allow to splutter.
- Fold in yellow lentils and rice.
- Stir in salt and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower flame, partially cover and cook till the water has evaporated and rice is cooked.
- Serve hot.
- This can be served all by itself, though, the actual combination is this khichdi with plain yogurt.
really comfort food... also, it's supposed to be bland... more like food that indians eat when they are sick...
It was too bland for my taste. I added some spices & poured some fried onions with oil to make it more flavorful.