This recipe is out of a cookbook called "Pure Dessert" by Alice Medrich. The emphasis is on "pure flavor," or, in this case, "pure lime" (a half cup mind you). Yum. The crust is buttery, delicious, crunchiness, underneath it all.
For the crust
- 118.32 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 3.69 ml pure vanilla extract
- 1.23 ml salt
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
For the topping
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 7.39 ml finely grated lime zest or 7.39 ml lemon zest
- 118.29 ml strained fresh lime juice or 118.29 ml lemon juice
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Place rack in lower third of over and preheat to 350 degrees. Line the bottom and sides of an 8" square baking pan with foil.
- To make the crust, in a medium bowl, combine the melted butter with the sugar, vanilla, and salt. Add the flour and mix just until incorporated.
- Press the dough all over the bottom of the pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until well browned on the edges and golden brown in the center.
- To make the topping, in a large bowl, stir together the sugar and flour. whisk in eggs. stir in lemon juice and lime zest.
- When crust is ready, turn oven down to 300 degrees. Slide the rack out (with pan on it) and pour filling onto hot crust.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the center no longer jiggles.
- Lift the foil liner out and transfer bars to cutting board. You can blot the surface of the bars to remove any foam. (Test to make sure your bars aren't to sticky first. This trick could remove a lot more than excess foam -- ).
- Cut into bars. Dust with powdered sugar right before serving. Will keep in airtight container for up to a week.
LOVE IT! Thank you. I had a large bag of limes left over from a margarita party and needed to do something with it. Boy, this was easy, fast and delicious. I was out of vanilla but I did not miss it. I forgot to dust it with powder sugar. Just went ahead and ate it warm. Yummy. It's unanimous, everyone who tried this lime bar loves it. I've made it twice in less than 1 week.
Made for It's Not Easy being Green March Tag. These were really yummy. Because I am gluten free, I didn't use the crust recipe as I have a crust recipe for lemon bars that works really well and I didn't want to have a disaster (which I have had before trying other lemon bar recipes). I did use the filling recipe and it was fantastic. What a nice change from the normal lemon bars. Now I'm inspired to try this with fresh oranges. :yummy: Thanks for posting this recipe!