Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
These beans cook down and creat a thick, rich sauce. Good to serve over rice or arepas. From Cooking Light.
- 22.18 ml canola oil
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 177.44 ml finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2.46 ml brown sugar
- 7.39 ml minced garlic
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1.23 ml ground cumin
- 236.59 ml water
- 2 (850.48 g) can50% reduced sodium black beans, undrained
- 4.92 ml white wine vinegar
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in sugar, garlic, black pepper, and cumin; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in 1 cup water and beans; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and stir in vinegar.
I like the undertone flavor the red pepper gave the beans. I made as written and don't think I'd change anything. I'm going to use mine wrapped in tortillas tonight. Made for ZWT - Central & South America
I would also add additional seasonings as the beans were only mildly seasoned as the recipe is written. Very simple to make, as promised.
Very east and tasty. I may increase the seasonings a bit next time (personal preference). The beans were served over brown rice. Made for ZWT4 P.S. I've just had the leftovers for dinner and these beans are even better the next day.