Recipe by Chef PotPie
These beans cook down and creat a thick, rich sauce. Good to serve over rice or arepas. From Cooking Light.
Top Review by Charlotte J
I like the undertone flavor the red pepper gave the beans. I made as written and don't think I'd change anything. I'm going to use mine wrapped in tortillas tonight. Made for ZWT - Central & South America
- 22.18 ml canola oil
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 177.44 ml finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2.46 ml brown sugar
- 7.39 ml minced garlic
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1.23 ml ground cumin
- 236.59 ml water
- 2 (850.48 g) can50% reduced sodium black beans, undrained
- 4.92 ml white wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in sugar, garlic, black pepper, and cumin; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in 1 cup water and beans; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and stir in vinegar.