1/14 Photos of Very Moist Banana Nut Bread
1 hr 5 mins
This is a very easy, "no mixer" bread to make. It is very moist and a little heavy type banana bread. The really important thing to remember is using all black bananas to get my same results. I always use 5 medium sized bananas and this recipe makes 2 loaves. Also, I've never used buttermilk, but sour milk instead..a little vinegar added to regular milk. I've used this recipe since 1972 and last year made 32 loaves to give away for Christmas! It's truly a wonderful bread. I only bake it until the toothpick comes out almost clean, as we like it really moist. If you over bake it, or wait til the toothpick is completely clean, the bread will be a lot dryer. I realize some like it this way, so thats why I've given this hint. My family and friends would rather have it a little under done than over. It's so good with coffee, butter/jelly or I like mine just plain. I bake it in tin foil pans and it freezes wonderfully. I try to always have one or two in the freezer for company, or a little gift. This recipe came from a ladies club cookbook. The kind where everyone contributes recipes, they are made into a recipe book and sold to make money for charities. All the cooks are just plain "down home" country gals that produce miracles in the kitchen. It's my favorite cookbook and I've almost worn it out and it can't be replaced. I know there are many banana bread recipes here, so thanks for trying this recipe. I hope you enjoy it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to 350°. Grease or spray 2 loaf pans.
- 2In a large bowl, mash bananas with a masher or by well washed hands.
- 3Dissolve soda in buttermilk-- use a larger container as it will foam up quite a bit.
- 4Mix all ingredients by hand and add in 1 cup chopped nuts. Bake at 350° for 1 hour, or until toothpick comes out ALMOST clean.
- 5Totally clean will mean a dryer loaf.
- 6Let cool 15 minutes after removing from oven and remove from pans.
- 7Or, let cool, cover with foil, slide into freezer bags and freeze.
- 8Great when using tin foil pans.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Very Moist Banana Nut Bread
Serving Size: 1 (68 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.7
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 23.3 mg
- Sodium 130.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 19.4 g
- Protein 2.7 g