Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Never eat icky jarred alfredo sauce again! This is a weekly staple in my house. Add chicken, shrimp, salmon, or veggies and pasta and Parmesan cheese for a really yummy dish.
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 4 ounces fat free cream cheese, cubed
- 3 tablespoons part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sautee garlic 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook another minute or so.
- Mix broth and flour in same skillet. Stir in cream cheese, 2 tablespoons of the mozzarella cheese, and the pepper.
- Cook 2 minutes, stir constantly with wire whisk until it reaches desired consistency.
Oh my goodness - what a great sauce, and so simple! I did have to make some variations though, much to my dismay, due to the unexpected realization that I was out of garlic! So, to start a base, I sauteed some onions with garlic powder. I left out the tomatoes because I was making this sauce for the Garlic Chicken Pizza (Recipe #136872). After adding the rest of the ingredients, I simmered it for quite because I wanted a thicker sauce for the pizza. I also added a touch more flour, too. Overall, great sauce!
This was very good, especially with it being lower fat, no complaints from my kids. That is saying a lot too, my kids are the "mom what's this red thing?".
I haven't eat over my pasta yet, but I can tell you it is delicious. I keep scraping my skillet for a little taste. I kind of messed up though, I too decided to use some canned diced tomatoes, but I used the entire 14.5 oz can. So I added a little extra flour, stock and cream cheese. I'm kind of glad I added too many tomatoes, it has a nice tomato flavor to it. I can't wait until my pasta is done and we get to really eat it. Thank you for posting, I have a feeling I'll be making this again!